The completed project
I recently completed the development of an iOS app as a code exercise. The goal was to display the top 100 albums across all genres using the Apple RSS generator. You can find the TopAlbums project on GitHub. The project description contains an animated GIF of the finished product, along with the detailed set of requirements.
What I wanted to do in this post is review my thought process in developing the app, along with any intricacies I came across.
I enjoy discovering new APIs to experiment with. In this case I came across Unsplash which is a source of high resolution images which are free to use. The developer API is well documented and it is a simple process to register an app to obtain an API key.
To skip ahead and see what I built using this API, see my Unsplash demo app on GitHub.
An opportunity to build an iOS app
An Image API service provides a nice basis for building an iOS app. It lends itself to working with table views, collection views, storage and many other iOS features. The following screenshots show what I was able to achieve.
Posted in API, iOS, Swift
Tagged Alamofire, api, combine, core data, iOS, mvvm, NSFetchedResultsController, Swift, unsplash
I’ve completed the initial release of a project I’ve been working on called AppDeveloperKit. It is a tool for iOS developers to assist in developing reusable, configurable Swift classes.
Properties are declared in classes and coded to affect appearance and behavior. The values for these properties are stored in a property list (plist) file. A macOS app provides a UI to edit these properties in real-time as an app is actively running on a device or simulator. An iOS framework coordinates access to the plist file and communication to the macOS app.
This is a list of the main features that AppDeveloperKit offers:
A harmless Database update
I was debugging a Swift Mac app that I’m developing that uses Realm for a database. The version of RealmSwift I was currently using was 2.10.0 as specified in my Podfile.
I opened Realm Browser to inspect a record in my database. Having been recently updated to version 3.0.1, it alerted me that my database was using an older file format and offered to upgrade it. I accepted without thinking much of it.
An unexpected error